Entry. Access to the Berkeley dining hall is from the large, arched gate at 205 Elm, between College and High Streets. Inside the gate, walk about 20 feet and enter a door on the right wall. From there you will pass through a second door directly into the Berkeley common room. The dining room’s entrance is on its right wall. Built in the Collegiate Gothic style, Berkeley first opened in 1934. Its large, spacious dining hall features an open timber ceiling with a beautiful, Tudor-style, hammer-beam wooden motif. Framed portraits of past Head’s of College provide a sense of Berkeley history over the years. Other features include its Great Fireplace and leading windows lining the passage between the Hall and the Dining Room.
History and Traditions. Berkeley College was named after the Rev. George Berkeley, an early 18th century Yale benefactor and its coat of arms is the crest of the Berkeley family. It was built on the site of the original Fayerweather Hall on the part of campus once known as Berkeley Oval. Its dining traditions include the Bishop Berkeley Birthday dinner for fellows and seniors, the Thunder Brunch, a traditional Holiday Banquet and the Berkeley Bishop Bash.
“We ate here.” U.S. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart and International Monetary Fund Executive Director Rakesh Mohan are among Berkeley’s many alumni.