Helping our students eat well is our priority. To eat safely, with peace of mind, is equally important.
Students work closely with our Menu Design and Nutrition Quality Assurance Manager – a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist – to ensure their wide range of dietary needs are met. Our team also collaborates with dining managers and cooks, dietitians at the Yale Health Plan, and Student Accessibility Services, to accommodate everything from serious food allergies or medical conditions to athletic training considerations, religious dietary guidelines, and lifestyle choices.
Within the dining halls, ingredients are listed for every recipe and the top eight major allergens are clearly identified with an icon system across our menus. Menus can always be accessed online, the Yale Hospitality app, and alongside each dish in the serveries, so that meals can be enjoyed communally. We remind fellow diners to assist their peers with food allergies and sensitivities by using a clean plate when re-entering the serveries, to use the utensils designated for a specific dish, and to keep our gluten-free station – including condiments and toaster – for separate use to avoid cross-contact.
Rest assured, our culinary team are trained in food safety and allergen-specific food preparation and will customize arrangements whenever necessary. It is our responsibility and our great privilege to support you.
Ask the Dietitian
Our Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Leah Beck, is available for one-on-one appointments with questions regarding the following:
- General Nutrition Information
- Menu and Ingredient Information
- Special Dietary Accommodations
- Contact hospitality nutrition with any questions or concerns.
Register for Dietary Accommodations in 4 Steps!
- Register with Student Accessibility Services
- Complete the Self-Identification form (provided by SAS)
- Arrange an appointment with our Registered Dietitian to discuss accommodations and arrange an individualized plan. This plan will be executed in your home college and as needed in any of our residential dining facilities.
- Continue to work with the nutritionists and your unit managers and chefs. And remember, your active involvement and feedback helps us best support you!